Wednesday 29 May 2013

Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup Recipe

On Monday I wrote about my busy morning of soup-making. After preparing my soups (and having some for lunch!) I first wrote about the celery and potato soup I made - the recipe for this can be found here: http://foodloverlondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/celery-and-potato-soup-recipe.html

Today I will continue by telling you about my recipe for the roasted pepper and tomato soup that I also made on Monday and enjoyed for my lunch yesterday. I only wanted to use up what I had in the house, so finished off the red and orange peppers I had left over following the BBQ my friends and I had at the weekend. I didn't actually have any fresh tomatoes, but had plenty of tins of plum tomatoes so I decided to try using those - and the soup turned out great. This soup was so straightforward to make but had lots of flavour!


Recipe - Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup
Serves 4

Ingredients:

Olive oil
1 red pepper
1 orange or yellow pepper
1 onion (I used a red onion)
2 x 400g tins of plum or chopped tomatoes
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Dollop of creme fraiche (optional)
A few roughly torn basil leaves (to garnish)

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  • Chop the peppers into strips, ensuring the stalk and seeds have been removed first.
  • Peel and roughly chop the onion into chunks.
  • Place the onion and peppers into a roasting tin with a couple of glugs of olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes. I love the smell of roasting veggies!
  • Once roasted, tip the vegetables into a large pan, add the 2 tins of tomatoes and 500ml of stock (I used chicken stock). Bring to the boil, then pop the lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Blend the soup until completely smooth - I used a hand-held stick blender as I find this the easiest & most straightforward method. Season the soup to taste.
  • Serve with a little creme fraiche stirred through if desired, and a little torn basil to garnish.
I actually found this my favourite of the two soups, and have divided the leftovers (of both soups) into individual portions in tupperware boxes and frozen to re-heat in the microwave for future meals.

Lisa x



No comments:

Post a Comment