Sunday 28 July 2013

Cheats No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Recipe


Not strictly a genuine cheesecake due to the lack of cream cheese, but this 'cheats' version comes close. My housemate first taught me this recipe about 7 years ago when I was at university as an undergraduate, and it was so easy we used to make it all the time. If you enjoy cheesecakes but don't have the energy to make a proper baked cheesecake, this is a great substitute and can easily feed a group of friends. This zesty dessert is beautifully smooth and creamy.

I've seen that there are a few similar recipes online for 'cheats' lemon cheesecakes, most of which use either more double cream, or a 2nd tin of condensed milk - I guess this would make for a thicker cheesecake. But today I'm sharing the original recipe my friend showed me, as this is how I've always enjoyed it.

Recipe - No Bake Lemon Cheesecake

Ingredients

150g digestive biscuits
80g unsalted butter
300ml double cream
1 x 400g can of condensed milk
2 large lemons (zest and juice)

Method

1. To make the base: Make the digestives into crumbs. I do this by popping them into a big plastic freezer bag and bashing them with a rolling pin, but you could alternatively blitz them in a food processor. Melt the butter in a pan and mix in the biscuit crumbs until combined. Pour the crumb mixture into a round loose-bottomed tin (mine measured 8" across), pressing it down with the back of a metal spoon. Put the tin in the fridge for an hour to allow the base to harden.

2. To make the filling: Mix together the double cream and condensed milk. Add the juice and zest of the 2 lemons and mix till combined. Pour the mixture on top of of the biscuit crumb base and then put the cheesecake tin back in the fridge. Leave in the fridge to set for at least 5 hours, or ideally overnight.

And it's that simple!


Lisa x

No comments:

Post a Comment