Tuesday 9 July 2013

Chocolate Tiffin (Refrigerator Cake) Recipe


Despite having just written about my new health kick, every so often I still need something sweet to satisfy my chocolate cravings. Chocolate tiffin (or refrigerator cake) is so simple and the ingredients can easily be adapted to your liking. Last week I made a small batch which made 12 squares and they didn't last long in my household!

Whilst these tiffin bars are obviously a little on the naughty side, eating them means I get a small chocolate fix whilst getting some of the benefits of dark chocolate (see here) - or so I keep telling myself haha! I also love how you can tailor the ingredients to your liking, so if you want a more guilt-free snack you can use nuts and dried fruit instead of the marshmellows and sugary crystallised ginger. Although for me personally, the crystallised ginger is my favourite thing about these tasty treats!


Here is the recipe with the ingredients I used for my tiffin, followed by some suggestions of other 'fillings' you could use...

Recipe: Chocolate Tiffin Bars (or Refrigerator cake)

Ingredients:

200g dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
100g unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
8 digestive biscuits, chopped into small chunks
60g crystallised ginger pieces
2 tbsp dried cranberries
3 tbsp mini marshmellow pieces

Method:

1. Line a small baking tin with parchment - my tin measured 15cm x  15cm.

2. Melt the chocolate, butter and syrup - put them into a heatproof bowl and stand over a pan of simmering water. Don't let the water get too hot and don't fill the pan with too much water so it is touching the base of the bowl - the chocolate may burn. Stir occasionally until the ingredients are smooth.
 
3. Tip in the biscuit chunks, ginger pieces, cranberries, marshmellows or any of the alternatives of your choice. Mix it all together thoroughly, and pour the mixture into the baking tin.

4. Leave the mixture to cool, and then refrigerate for a few hours until the chocolate has completely set. The cake can then be lifted from the tin and cut into pieces using a sharp knife. Store the tiffin bars in the fridge until needed.

Alternative 'fillings' could include:

Chopped nuts - hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts etc.
Instead of digestives you could try ginger nuts or shortbread
Other dried fruit - raisins, apricots, sultanas
Candied peel (if you're not a fan of the ginger)

These treats are so straightforward, even the most novice baker would have no trouble making them. And they are great for picnics or lunchboxes (just keep them out of the sun) or to snack on with friends whilst having a cup of tea and a chat (my personal favourite!).


Lisa x

No comments:

Post a Comment